Each One Reach One


So I have found that it is not when I am surrounded by people celebrating the joy of this moment, but the times when I am alone in my apartment that the magnitude of Graduation settles upon me. Throughout my four years there has always been one professor who seemed to keep riding me and telling me that I am not doing as well as I should. I have had him for a teacher since Freshman year. He was the first person I talked to when I wanted to earn some "Letters,"if you know what I am saying. And he was the first person to tell me that I had been settling for mediocrity for far too long, by overstretching myself with my extracurriculars and giving my studies only 80% of my time. I resented him for it. Granted, he is my mentor and generally knows and wants what's best for me, I was not prepared for the harsh reality checks he delivered to me each time that I had a one-on-one with him. I remember crying in his office once when one insignificant dream came crashing down right before my eyes at his hand. I remember how angry I was when he asked, "Do you want me to treat you like all the rest of these people?" And I remember being so ready to tell him "yes" because sometimes it gets so hard to stand out. So hard to be an individual. And so damn hard to always do the right thing. But I know he's right. I thank him from the bottom of my heart for never giving up on me. Dr. Lloren A. Foster has been life coach, mentor, pastor, and father to me throughout a four year journey and now sitting here in this seat I only hope I know how to stand on all that he, along with my parents, and many other wonderful instructors have taught me over these four years to know I'm doing the right thing. *tears* The old African adage "each one teach one" holds true with this man. Now it's my duty to carry on the torch and fulfill the duty he has charged me with. I must take a deep breath and brace myself. Lord, help me on this way. I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge.


Dance With My Father - Luther Vandross

Comments

Popular Posts