Up In the Bell Tower


So I keep trying to wrap my head around the idea that I will be gone in another three months to a land unfamiliar to me, amongst a people I have never lived with. Furthermore, they have never seen a black man themselves. To say the least it will be interesting living in South Korea for this year. I'm not sure that I am ready for the culture shock of it all. However, some of my family members postulate that because I am such an oddity of an individual I will likely find that I love it over there because I will be Lord of the Flies, if you will. My cousin even went so far as to say I will likely marry a woman over there and never come back to the States except for holidays and special events. Now, I know that's not likely for several reasons but it was just interesting to see what they thought about the whole situation. Hmm. I'm not really sure what I would do in order to overcome social isolation amongst a people and culture that's not my own. It's likely though this whole scenario would force me to learn their culture sooner, because I don't do alone too well. I like to have people surrounding me, involved in something fun. In fact, that's what I am going to do. Everytime I feel alone there, I vow to go out and meet someone new. It'll give me a chance to work on my Hangal(Korean language) and my new comrade a chance to practice their English. I don't if it's a perfect plan, but at least it's one that will keep me from belting show tunes from the apartment roof in Seoul.

Comments

Popular Posts