Dare You To Move


One of my really good friends has a birthday that used to always fall at the beginning of the school year. It was always a great way for all of our closest peeps to come together and start the year off right. Even as Freshman, the date had the power make us all congregate with alarming magnetism that made our group of friends so remarkable. Even when we were just getting to know each other everyone rallied around the opportunity to get to know complete strangers that would become our best friends. I mean every year, like clockwork she found a new and interesting way to celebrate it. Whether it was a big birthday cake and food in the lobby of a dorm, a grown and sexy sit-down dinner, a murder-mystery dinner for all us Theater geeks, or a great night of fun playing laser tag in my bowling shoes. This event always started my and so many others year off with a bang. It was a time when we could all goof off. Hang out. And show off all our new summer upgrades, because you know coming back each year, something about you was bound to be different. "New and improved" some of us liked to call it. Others would assign the release number to their changes like, So-and-so 3.0; to state that they were the latest model of a better themselves. It was always really exciting. What's funny about it is, no matter what happened in the school year before it things always had a way of coming back together in the end to be okay. Everyone would have grown a bit. Things would be different but we still somehow managed to hold on to that core friendship. And now, with all of us headed in different directions or already actively in our fields I can't help but wonder what this year's School Year Kickoff might have been. Maybe a drive-in movie? Maybe a house party with movies and games? We'd have loved that kind of thing. Maybe just going to hang out on the beach where we'd talk about good times and sing old songs from the 90s. Hard to believe that "those days" now have become "the good ole days." It probably feels like I'm beating a dead horse with this topic on here. But you could never imagine how awesome this group of friends made me feel. I loved them. And I always will. They were my family. I know them the best. They're some of the people who know me best. Maybe even know me better than I know myself. And with the constant ebb and flow of time, I just enjoy walking along that shore one last time. Porch Posters and Queens know what I'm talking about ::sigh:: Until we meet again guys. Happy Birthday Friend.

Comments

  1. Thank you. No really, thank you. I truly appreciate this post (and the one before it ;) ) I tried to make my birthday special for everyone. The greatest joy I got was that everyone could rally around and have a good time no matter what the drama was. And how I loved to start off the year. Every birthday was wonderful, even if the year didn't go as planned. I am so grateful for all four of those birthdays. And I am glad we could share them. I hope God blesses me with many more to come. And I hope I get to share more with my beloved KPP especially you my friend. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Malcolm...this post made me smile and then a little bit sad. I'm gonna miss the KQ/KPP moments. Its just great that no matter how people changed or the new friends we made, we always connected even if it was just in the caf or at Andrea's bday get together or at Relay. I miss that but we were so lucky to have that. I loved this post and your blog in general. Hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Honest opinions are always welcome

Popular Posts