Transformative Linguistic Power


The language changed on us. Habaragani. It means 'what's the good news' in Swahili. I write in English because another tongue never taught me a way to identify my oppression in such a way. Lower savagery in the heart of darkness. Primal. Visceral. Exotic. Wild. Barbaric. Primitive. The language changed on us. Mystical. Uncivilized. In Ibo I might tell you of Shango or the multiple deities in my village's culture, but some might say my living in a village meant I have no culture. Internal struggle. Civil War. Material goods. Missionary. Heathen. Hedonistic. Pagan Darkie. Unclean. Unbaptized. Unsaved. The language changed on us. Commerce. Expansion. Imperialism. Colonization. Kidnapping. Transport. Transatlantic Slave Trade. Triangular Trade for Capital Gain.

The language changed on us. Indentured servant. Maid. Master. Slave. Freedom. Life. Liberty. Property. Whose property am I? The language changed on us. Revolution. Representation. Is the overseer my delegate? Nigger. Independence. All men in the sight of God. Cursed sons of Ham. Born again. Can your God see me too? The language changed on us. Abolition. Carpet bagger. Republican. Democracy. Lincoln. Davis. Secession. Brother killing brother. What about my family? Is your war like the one my ancestors had?

The language changed on us. Emancipation. Reconstruction. Free man. Sharecropper. Segregation. Protection. Separate but equal. Colored. Negro. Afro-American. African American. Say it loud. I'm black and I'm proud. The language changed on us. Civil Right. Equal protection under the law. Due process. Content of character. By any means. Integrate. Divested. Projects. Urban renewal. Zoning. The language changed on us. Prequalification. Gifted. Intelligence. Eugenics. Supreme Aryan race. Fly like a butterfly. Revocation. Heavy weight champ. American.

The language changed on us. Make love. Peace. All you need. Prudence. Let it be. Tension mounting. Looting. Riots. Survival. Senior. The Gulf. Foreign dependence. Impeachment. Perjury. What about the laws you've broken under oath? Do those count? War on Terror. War on Drugs. Did we get him? I can't tell. Who's 'him' today? The language changed on us. Small business loan. Adjustable Mortgage Rate. Debt to income ratio. At risk. Credit risk. Refinance. Home equity. Liquidated assets. Net worth. Increasing crime rate. Prison industrial complex. Fit the description. Innate ability. Charter. Magnet. Pilot. Parochial. Private. Public. The language changed on us. Upward mobility. Forward thinking. Stagnation. Progressive. Liberal. Glass ceiling. False pretenses. Financial IQ. Destiny. Silenced dialogue. I wonder what we're really all saying?

Comments

Popular Posts