Never Mind I'll Find Someone Like You


Ya know this woman Adele has somehow managed to encapsulate so much of my life in eleven tracks of her own soundtrack. This album, 21, is so good I truly forget what I am supposed to be doing while I listen to it. Currently blasting in my ears is "Someone Like You" so I guess I'll go on my rant about this one first and fill in the gaps later.

Some artists have a charismatic lilt in the way they communicate whatever song they choose to include in their latest installment of bids for a Grammy Award. Not Adele. She goes. And currently she is my favorite artist in R&B, Soul, Alternative, and whatever other categories this crossover artist falls into. There is something about the tonal phrasings and controlled emotion that commits to each note and every word she sings.

To put it simply, Adele has been hurt before. With her "normal" appearance, many listeners--myself included--like to think she really is singing about her own past. This song.....is beautifully heartbreaking. From the gentle triplet the piano is tickling in the accompaniment to the easy crescendo of the lead instrument, you feel it.

It's kinda like the first time I heard Michael Jackson's "She Out Of My Life," Adele has experienced something powerful and painful. She communicates it so beautifully on this final cut of the album. Many days it stays on repeat in my PSP (yes, I use it for its mp3 technology among other reasons). Oftentimes, the song leaves me sitting at the edge of my bed, lost in the melody and caught up in my feelings. I have talked to and almost potentially dated many women in my life. But the ones I was fortunate enough to tell "I love you" to--whatever that means--and date for an extended period were exceptional human beings, great friends, and highly intelligent, in addition to being very beautiful black women. Yet, I thought I spent a considerable amount of time burying my feelings. Hey, what do you want from me I'm a scorpio and a man. A dangerous combination for being a reclusive and stoic when I want to be.

However, this song blows me wide open. It leaves me thinking about simple things like Art's scent, her soft voice that I begged to sing "Harlem Blues." Or The Movie Channel's deep chocolate hue and our amazing night at Senior Ball. Damn, this shit has me caught up. And you know what? Idgaf. I sit on these sentiments all day, every day in the name of being strong. Thank you Adele for being real enough to say what I couldn't. Ladies, if you ever read this.....I'm sorry I didn't know what that four letter word meant when I used it. Maybe I can get lucky a third time. "Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead." Yeah. Adele, you sure know how to string a phrase.

Comments

Popular Posts